Promoting Interoperability Measures
CMS has instituted a scoring methodology consisting of one set of four objectives, encompassing six measures.* Clinicians must report on all six measures in order to earn a score for the category. Read more about the PI performance category.
In 2021, MIPS eligible clinicians may use certified technology meeting the existing 2015 Edition certification criteria, updated to the 2015 Edition Cures Update, or a combination of the two, to meet the CEHRT definition. (85 FR 84472)
To learn more about the 2015 Edition Cures Update and the changes to 2015 Edition certification criteria finalized in the 21st Century Cures Act final rule (85 FR 25642), we encourage MIPS eligible clinicians to visit ONC's Cures Act Final Rule.
To check whether a health IT product has been certified to criteria updated for the 2015 Edition Cures Update, visit the Certified Health IT Product List (CHPL) at Certified Health IT Product List (CHPL).
2015 Edition or 2015 Edition Cures Update functionality must be used as needed for a measure action to count in the numerator during a performance period. However, in some situations the product may be deployed during the performance period but pending certification. In such cases, the product must be certified to the 2015 Edition or the 2015 Edition Cures Update by the last day of the performance period.
* Security risk analysis remains part of the requirements for the Promoting Interoperability performance category, but will no longer be scored as a measure.
HEALTH INFORMATION EXCHANGE
PROVIDER TO PATIENT EXCHANGE
PUBLIC HEALTH & CLINICAL DATA
Support Electronic Referral Loops by Sending Health Information
Health Information Exchange (HIE) Bi-Directional Exchange
Provide Patients Electronic Access to Their Health Information
1. Immunization Registry Reporting
2. Syndromic Surveillance Reporting
3. Electronic Case Reporting
4. Public Health Registry Reporting
5. Clinical Data Registry Reporting
- Support Electronic Referral Loops by Sending Health Information
- Support Electronic Referral Loops By Receiving and Incorporating Health Information
- Provide Patients Electronic Access to Their Health Information
- Immunization Registry Reporting
- Syndromic Surveillance Reporting
- Electronic Case Reporting
- Public Health Registry Reporting
- Clinical Data Registry Reporting
- Security Risk Analysis
- Health Information Exchange (HIE) Bi-Directional Exchange