MIPS improvement activities performance category
Improvement Activities Data Submission
An organization may choose to submit measure data to CMS as an individual or as a group through any of the options below.
CMS Web Interface
IA Performance Category Scoring
- Worth 15% of total MIPS CPS
- Most Improvement Activities are medium-weight activities, and are worth 10 points.
- There are a few high-weight improvement activities, and those will be worth 20 points.
- You can use any combination of medium- and high-weight activities.
Improvement Activities Performance Category Exemptions
- Non-patient-facing eligible clinicians and groups, practices of 15 or fewer professionals, and practices located in rural areas and geographic health professional shortage areas can report two medium-weight activities or one high-weight activity to achieve the full 40 points.
- Certified patient-centered medical homes, comparable specialty practices, or Medical Homes receive full credit in this category automatically.
- APMs automatically receive 20 points (half of the highest potential score) for this category.
Stay up to date with the latest news regarding MACRA and MIPS.
The Healthmonix Advisor is a free weekly news source, connecting you to the latest updates in the value-based care industry.
Medicare Program; Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) and Alternative Payment Model (APM) Proposed Rule, 42 CFR § 414 (2016).
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. (2016). Clinical Practice Improvement Activities Performance Category [PowerPoint slides]. Retrieved from https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/Value-Based-Programs/MACRA-MIPS-and-APMs/CPIA-Performance-Category-slide-deck.pdf